Top Attorneys Above Par 2009 | Super Lawyers

Trusted Lawyer in

South Jersey & Philadelphia

Photo of David T. Garnes

Trusted Lawyer in

South Jersey & Philadelphia

How to raise a child with your former spouse

On Behalf of | Nov 23, 2020 | Child Custody, Parenting Plans/Coparenting

Raising a child with a former spouse may present a variety of challenges. However, there are things that you can do to overcome any issues that may arise while attempting to do so. By working collaboratively with your child’s other parent, it may be possible to stay out of a New Jersey courtroom.

Fair and equal are two different things

There is a chance that parenting time won’t be split exactly 50/50 in a divorce settlement. This is because the law is designed to ensure that the child’s best interests are met regardless of what you may want. For instance, if you work long hours, it will likely be best for your son or daughter to spend more time with his or her other parent.

Learn how to communicate

In many cases, relationships end because couples don’t know how to talk to each other. Typically, communication issues don’t go away on their own after a marriage ends. Therefore, it could be a good idea for you and your former spouse to work with a therapist or another professional who can help resolve the problem.

Let your child make some decisions

The law generally allows children to have some input as to how a parenting plan is structured. For instance, they may express a preference for where they would like to live after their parents split up. It may also be a good idea to let your child participate in weekly or monthly family discussions about the status of an existing parenting plan. Allowing your children to keep items at your former spouse’s home may help them feel some level of control wherever they happen to be.

Generally speaking, you are entitled to maintain a relationship with your child even if the other parent is granted sole custody. Furthermore, there is a chance that a child custody order may be modified in the future. An attorney may help you develop strategies to be an effective parent regardless of whether you’re a custodial or noncustodial parent.