Top Attorneys Above Par 2009 | Super Lawyers

Trusted Lawyer in

South Jersey & Philadelphia

Photo of David T. Garnes

Trusted Lawyer in

South Jersey & Philadelphia

Is child support canceled if you lose your job?

On Behalf of | Dec 17, 2021 | Child Support

You had a great job when you got divorced, and so you were ordered to pay child support to your ex. You did so very willingly because you knew that the money could help your child enjoy the standard of living they deserved, even when they were living with your ex.

However, you recently lost your job when your company had to downsize due to a local recession. Now you have no income and you’re not sure how you’re supposed to make those child support payments. Do they get canceled if you lose your job?

The order stays in effect, but you can seek a modification

It makes sense that you would assume these orders would be canceled or modified to reflect your current financial situation, and you can ask the court to do so. You will likely have to show that you have no income and that you can’t make these payments, or you could show that your pay has decreased if you get another job with a lower income.

The key thing to remember is that the order stays in effect even though you are not employed. You cannot simply stop paying. You cannot modify the payments yourself. You have to obey that court order to the best of your ability and seek a legal modification before you change how much you’re paying. Don’t take this into your own hands or you could violate the court order that is still in place.

How do you get a modification?

Getting a legal modification can be a complicated process, and so it’s very important to understand all of the legal steps you’ll need to take at this time.